Don’t feel restricted to using only fish – add shrimp, scallops, crab or lobster. Or, you could simply garnish with a colorful crab or lobster claw.
1 1/2 lb. sea bass, haddock, or cod, cut in 1/2″ squares
5 leeks, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup red bell pepper, diced
1/2 – 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (optional)
2 cups tomatoes, diced (fresh or canned)
4 potatoes peeled and cut in 1/2 ” cubes
2 cups organic chicken or vegetable stock
2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
2 bay leaves
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon dried oregano
Sea salt to taste
Optional: 1 cup of heavy cream or coconut milk
- Heat coconut oil in a large stock pot.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until soft.
- Add the carrots and leeks; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, leeks and bay leaves, cook while stirring for 3 -5 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and tomatoes, vegetable or chicken stock, and the rest of the herbs.
- Bring to a low boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are soft. Add the fish and cook for two to three minutes; turn off heat – BE CAREFUL – DO NOT overcook the fish.
- Optional: Add 1 cup of heavy cream or coconut milk for final 10-12 minutes of simmer.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.