2 Granny Smith apples
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed cranberries
2 tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
6 dates, pitted and chopped
Zest and juice of 1 orange
2 tablespoons roasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut 1/2 inch off the top of the apples and reserve tops.
- Use a paring knife or spoon to hollow out the apples, leaving about a 1/2-inch-thick wall and base. Set aside.
- Add oil to large skillet over medium heat.
- Add cranberries, honey, cardamom, dates and orange juice and zest and cook until cranberries begin to collapse and liquid thickens, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in almonds.
- Spoon cranberry mixture into apples then replace the apple tops.
- Put into a small baking dish filled with 1/4 inch water, cover with foil and bake until tender, 15 to 30 minutes (depending on apples).
- Uncover, carefully pour off the water and continue baking until very tender and golden, 10 to 15 minutes more