10 (6 oz.) boneless duck breasts with skin
2 tablespoons water
sea salt, black pepper
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F. Score duck skin in a crosshatch pattern with a small sharp knife and season duck all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat water in an ovenproof 12-inch heavy skillet over low heat until hot, then add duck, skin side down. Cook duck, uncovered, over low heat, without turning, until most of fat is rendered (melted) and skin is golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer duck to a plate and discard all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet.
- Roast duck in oven until thermometer registers 135°F, about 8 minutes for medium-rare. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Holding a sharp knife at a 45-degree angle, cut duck into slices. Serve with preferred chutney. Garnish with fresh fruits and vegetables.