Approximately 1/2 pound of grass-fed or pasture-fed ground beef per person
1-2 onions, roughly chopped/sliced
2-3 Tablespoons butter, olive oil, grapeseed oil, or coconut oil
Sea salt and cracked pepper
Natural or whole food mayonnaise (i.e. flax or olive oil)
NOTE: First, as always, best is organic (grass-fed and no antibiotics or hormones); next best is natural (grain-fed, but with no antibiotics or hormones) beef; also, buy the ‘ground chuck’ – it has more fat, which will make your burgers taste immeasurably better than the leaner ground beef.
- In medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter/oil.
- Add chopped onions; cook until very soft – carmelized – this may take 20 minutes.
- Light grill to high.
- Spread hamburger meat out on wax paper on cutting board.
- Season liberally with sea salt and cracked pepper.
- Mix seasoning into meat by hand and form into ¾” patties (TIP: shape with slight depression in the middle of patty – the burgers won’t end up dome shaped from cooking).
- Have everything ready, including salads and steamed vegetables, before putting the patties on the grill.
IMPORTANT: Grill only 2-3 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium.
- Top with sauteed onions.
- Serve with sliced avocado.