A simple, yet solid full range-of-motion exercise for the shoulder in particular but that also engages the entire upper body (if done standing – don’t do sitting). Should be in your regular weekly or biweekly rotation.
As Dr. Paul demonstrates, this exercise is scaleble – can be done with an empty PVC pipe to barbell with weight, whatever is right for you!
- Hold a barbell, PVC pipe, or digging bar at the level of your collar bones with your hands just outside your shoulders
- Bring upper body backwards as you push bar up and overhead (do not push bar away from body, move body backward to allow bar to go vertical)
- Completely lock out arms at top
- Release down to original starting position
- As you move up in using heavier weight, a slight “dip drive” – bending your knees to initiate the movement is okay.
If you add a squat after each shoulder press, it’s called a Thruster. Here Dr. Stephen demonstrates full body, full range with strength.