ESSENTIAL ELEMENT: Integration
Critical Concepts: The cumulative effect of lifestyle behaviors
The essential elements collect, combine, and interact to shape your life. The parts are inseparable. You cannot unmake a cake. The elements that make up a cake combine to create something that is no longer simply the sum of its parts. Your life is a mosaic of the choices that you make, the experiences that you have, and the attitudes or patterns of thinking that you develop over time.
Each nutrient has its own Innate Daily Requirement. We must choose behaviors that provide sufficiency in each of these elements. Use the following checklist as a way to audit and identify the behaviors that you have adopted successfully. Celebrate this progress and recognize its significance. Use this checklist as a daily reminder of the behaviors that promote sufficiency and health in the Spark Domain. Combine these behaviors with sufficiency in Fuel and Air and Ignite Your Health.
Wellness is experienced, not achieved. Every choice, every day.
At this point in the program you should be….
- Making auto-deposits into your Peace of Mind Account (PMA)
- Getting to bed earlier: working toward sleep before 11 p.m.
- Getting up earlier: working toward 30 minute morning rituals
- Creating the life that you want
- Choosing to develop more influence in your life
- Recognizing challenges as opportunities to grow
- Seeking Alignment between behaviors and Innate Values
- Choosing an attitude of Thankfulness and Gratitude
- Seeking opportunities to get connected with supportive people
- Choosing to extend Unconditional Love and Acceptance to others
- Finding Balance by managing your Limited Resources (Time, Energy, Focus, & Money)
- Scheduling your Rest and Repair Strategies
ESSENTIAL ELEMENT: Comprehensive Fitness
Critical Concept: Being healthy = being fit = comprehensive
If you want to be truly healthy, you must be fit. If you want to be truly fit, you must be comprehensive in your approach.
If you were getting a regular sufficient intake of most of the required essential nutrients in your diet, but were missing one or several required nutrients, you would not be well. In fact, you would most likely not be alive for long. You should think this way for your movement patterns as well. Any deficiency in the essential elements of the Air Domain will create adaptive physiology and over time, sickness. The manifestation or symptoms may be latent (dormant or hidden) when compared to a nutrition deficiency, but the consequences are just as devastating.
Your lifestyle is most likely movement-deficient. You must supplement your movement patterns to fulfill your body’s requirements. Adopt the following behaviors and enjoy the body, the energy, the health, and the life that comes with them.
- Add activity every day in every way
- Calculate Energy Balance
- Add Functional Training
- Use variety in your workouts
- Focus on the Intensity of your workouts
- Gradually progress to a higher intensity
- Adopt the Buddy System
- Get your spine checked by a chiropractor
- Do what moves you – have fun
- Employ Goal Setting and Clear Standards
- Increase your flexibility
- Commit to consistency in your exercise
ESSENTIAL ELEMENT: Compounding Wellness
Critical Concept: Cumulative Effect
Good habits add together, and we get healthier. Bad habits add together, and we get sicker. This is true inside of each lifestyle domain and, more importantly, across all three domains. You should approach the following checklist as a lifestyle “To Do List” in the Fuel Domain. Print it out and hang it on your refrigerator. Make copies at work and hand them out. Post this to your Facebook page. The more of these healthy habits you successfully adopt, the greater the chance of you experiencing your health potential and reducing the odds of suffering from chronic disease.
Science is revealing your owner’s manual. You should follow it.
Bonfire Fuel Summary Checklist
At this point in the program you should be….
- Drinking adequate water
- Eating plants first
- Choosing lean cuts of high quality protein
- Consuming high-fiber, whole food carbohydrates
- Increasing your healthy fat intake
- Taking your Bonfire Essential Supplements
- Taking 3 Deep Breaths before you eat to reset your state
- Maintaining a net zero or net negative calorie/energy balance
- Being mindful of “why” you’re eating, not just “what” you’re eating
- Choosing to consume an abundance of Nutrient Dense Foods
- Choosing to avoid Toxic/Deficient Foods
- Practice Intermittent Fasting to rest and rejuvenate your metabolism